Monday, June 22, 2020

The birthday letter...18!!

So this is your traditional annual bday letter from your fave Maaaa.  I know it’s a day late but we were so buggered yesterday after the most epic party ever.  Last year we were in Italy and I don’t remember writing you one?

 

Rebeka Scarlett is 18.  Eighteen?  When did that happen?
The day of your birth is still crystal clear in my mind.  Walking down the hall with Dad thinking how on earth am I about to have Gary Novitzkas’s baby?   There was a time when we SO did not like each other.  Dad watching the footie on the damn TV instead of my birth music.  Obviously!  And then you were finally born so big and red and cross and Dad was instantly smitten.  Our 1st night when I refused to have you taken to the nursery and tucked you into my bed till you were calm and peaceful.

You and Sofes in Hermanus in your matchy bikinis

You as a toddler in your princess dresses and clippy clop shoes refusing to wear long sleeved anything.  No sleebs Mama!   How you adored your Mimi and screamed blue murder all the way home.   You and Sofes in your matching outfits, I was shameless but I loved it. 

You and Helena at Amazing Discover play school, how cool that you are still besties?   Then Happy Days which was tough for you and your first experience of mean girls.  You stayed so soft, still are really. 

 

Off to De Hoop for grade 1 and Mrs Ohlsen who you loved to bits.  You and Jean balling your eyes out at the end of every single year.   Swimming like a little dolphin in the squad and Dad taking you to all the galas.  Do you remember him teaching you to dive one morning before school in the rain?  He was one dedicated swim dad!


Miss Liezl and Ryan Kemp and going to their wedding.  Mrs Krynauw who you loved so much.  And then grade 7 and you getting the lead role for the school play. My super shy girl being so brave and beautiful on that stage…Molly vd Merwe.  The opening night when Dad and I sat there watching you and Sofes in your pink dresses in the opening scene.  I had to sluk back those tears.  

 

Off to Rhenish High School, so small and skinny in your water polo costume.  You were way too polite for that sport and apologized half the game.  Swimming for the 4M gala, trying so hard to find your tribe.  You and goofy Jenna having so much fun.  

And now in your final year of high school, Rhenish is almost over.  Oh it’s all too quick.

Grade 9 Dad & Daughter dance

 I know this year is sucky and you have missed out on so many special traditions but I am still hoping you get to have your dance.  Mama the hope junkie right?

Isn’t it weird we would have been on a plane tomorrow for our dream trip.  What a huge frikkin’ disappointment but we will still go and I will show you Amsterdam and Paris and London.  We will still do many many trips together like Mimi and I have.

 

Rebeka your whole future and all the firsts await you.  Learning to drive your cute little car, graduating high school, starting uni, falling in love, moving into your own place, traveling with mates, your first real job, building your career, meeting The One, your wedding, making me a granny!


Rhenish Mom & Daughter tea grade 10

I am so very glad you had such a fun party, everyone had a blast!  And I am so grateful Dad and I are in a position to bless you with your little car.  More than that though was witnessing how divine your friends are to you and how they know you so well.  You have your tribe of girlfriends and I can’t even begin to tell you how important it is to have great women friends for the rest of your life.  Friends who love you in the best of times and the worst of times.


 

I know life has not been easy for along while and I can’t promise sunshine and roses but I can promise you my unwavering support and love.  Grab the sushi moments Rebeka, the little patches of sun that keep you warm when it’s cold and dark.  Love yourself and know how you should be treated and loved.  Take chances, learn new things, be open to growth and change.  I don’t have to tell you to work hard but play hard too.  Get off the spinning wheel of life every so often.   I am super proud of you and love you more than I can possibly describe.

 

Happy birthday Rebeka Scarlett, from your fave Ma and biggest fan. xxx   

No comments:

Post a Comment